Tuesday, July 8, 2008

In Defense of Ang's Hulk

I often run across comments online that completely dismiss Ang Lee's Hulk simply due to it's lack of shall we say... "Hulk Smash". I find it odd that so many people actually hate this film. I believe many have a clouded vison of the HULK based on the 1970's televison series which starred Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno. Also many movie goers expected a typical summer escapist popcorn flick. However what Ang Lee delivered was a poignant psycho drama/action thriller. I challenge anyone to watch it without preconceived notions of what the film should be and you will walk away pleasantly surprised. Maybe it wasn't a Hulk for kids or the Hulk of our childhood, but what Ang Lee delivered as a very respectable grown up superhero film similar to "Batman Begins". In fact, "Hulk" was "Batman Begins" before "Batman Begins". Yet, "Hulk" gets nailed and "Batman Begins" is applauded. In this blog I will attempt to critique and analyze Ang Lee's "Hulk" , both it's flaws and triumphs and give my opinion why this is such a worthwhile, yet underappreciated film. I hope you will feel free to ad you comments, especially those who love this film. Just remember to keep your commentary respectful and clean.

No comments: